viernes, 18 de octubre de 2013

Telling Tales!

The other day in class... we saw some videos! I know, we have seen many videos in class but I am talking about those that showed us how to tell stories. I love that story called Chocolate Cake. Well, more than the story, I love the way Michael Rosen performs the story. If you do not remember it very well, here you can watch the video again:



When I got home that day... I watched more videos from him! I found this one very funny which is called No Breathing in Class. It talks about a very strict teacher and how students felt about her. I found it funny because apart from his performance, I felt that way many times in class. I am very sure that most of us have felt this way before too! Have you?



Now that you are back in time and you remember which day I am talking about, probably you can also remember that... Raquel showed us the story called The Princess and the Dragon. It remained me of my childhood. When I was at school, my teacher used to tell us many stories but I think that if she would done it in this way, I would had enjoyed more. This is why, I got motivated to create a story using this methodology with my group:

First, we started thinking of topics to create our story. I have to say that it was very difficult to find a topic in which three characters with those characteristics could appear. The characteristics that I am talking about are: the good one (brave knight) the bad one (dragon) and the poor one (the princess). In our story, which was about recycling, our characters were replaced in this way:

Brave knight: The Three Recycling Bins
Dragon: Mr. Rubbish
Princess: The Big and Strong Tree



We thought of many topics before, such as instruments, planets or four seasons but we found some problems to fit them in the structure we had to follow. Suddenly, a light shinned and The Tree and Mr. Rubbish story came up to our minds. After writing it, we could see that it worked well so we started to perform it with the gestures that we saw in class. I know that you have already seen the result many times, since you all had to learn the story… but just in case you want to see it again or to use it in a future, here you have the video:



I think that... this story could be used to motivate children to recycle. Furthermore, it could be used as an introduction to the topic. They learn about the environment and how to take care of it since the first course of Primary. If you want to know when or how in more detail, you can find it in the first block of the curriculum, which is called the environment and its conservation.


I hope you liked our story and that you find it useful for children. I am up to your thoughts and opinions! I would like to know how you would use it in the future, or even how you think the story would work best!

2 comentarios:

  1. Sonso, I absolutely loved the class in which we met Michael Rosen. It is amazing how expressive is his face and voice (essential qualities for a storyteller). When I watch his videos, suddenly I fly and enter in his stories… I feel what he says and I experiment happiness, sadness, fear…

    With the video “No breathing in class” I remembered no a strict teacher but a strict nun. She was a small, white hair, old nun. Every girl was afraid of her, so when she appeared in the corridors, suddenly everyone stopped talking, even breathing (like Michael said in his video). If she fount you, and you weren’t fast enough to run, it was the most embarrassing and scary moment of your life. First, she looked directly to your eyes, then directly to your skirt. Your legs started to tremble because you knew what that looked meant: you had to kneel but not to start praying, but to show her the length of your skirt. If the skirt wasn’t long enough, first she used to take a scissors and cut the bottom of the skirt to make it longer; if still short, you were expelled and sent back home until you buy a new, longer one. It was horrible!!

    Related to your story, “The tree and Mr. Rubbish”, which deserved be the winner, I want to say that it was great! You have used a real topic, that maybe one day we will have to teach. For sure, if you give me your permission, I will use this story to go through this topic. So, thank you in advanced. How I will use the video to teach the topic? I think, maybe first I will tell the story to introduce the topic and motivate children. Then, I will ask questions related with the topic: “Do you recycle at home? Do you know someone who does it? How do you recycle? What do you recycle? Why is it important? Then, we will analyze the story (characters and goal of each). To finish, we will learn and tell the story together.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. OMG Leti!! I know what you are talking about. In my school there was a nun just like the one you are describing! She was just so scary! lol
    Oh thank you, your story was pretty good too. Of course you can use our story in a future, I think children will love it. I thought to work it just in the same way than you! :)

    ResponderEliminar